Thursday, October 31, 2013

FIRST ER VISIT IN OVER 14 YEARS!!

September 24, 2013


Unknown to so many people...this day holds a "heartfelt" time of my heart.  My mother's birthday was September 23rd.  Every year this day comes to me...I remember her in love and grief.  At work on that Monday, it was somewhat difficult...this was nothing new to me.  I never shared her "angelversary" with anyone at work, it was my own burden to bear with Jesus.  His light and love always brought me through this day, in the 50 plus years it had come and gone.  I missed her so...

So, Tuesday morning the 24th, started as usual, but with a huge "change".  My husband and I had done our routines of getting ready for work, and then a short time to share plans for our day.  This time however, Bob, could not understand the words I was saying in context.  He said, "Something is wrong, let's sit a moment and see if relaxing will help".  He started asking questions...my answers made no sense.  Although they were real words, they did not correlate to the topic.  He said, we need to go to the ER! Now!

The short drive to our local hospital brought new "weirdness" to me.  I started to forget things and people I knew well....the most horrific loss of memory was my grandson's name...Nathan...I had forgotten it.  I also forgot who my associate at work was...Kathy...whom I had worked with everyday for the past 2 1/2 years!
Bob was very very concerned!  At the ER, the office was empty, it was just us there.  Attention was immediately given and questions were asked that I could not answer.  Like who is the President of the United States?  I could not remember....What is your social security number?  Nope, not remembering.

The swiftness of my assessment was daunting.  My heart rate had slowed to 43, my blood pressure was all over the place, sometimes low, sometimes higher.  The chronic tinnitus I had experienced for the past 10 years had become a huge "roar"!  The Dr. let my daughter, Sherry, who had just arrived, turn music on for me to help.  Music is so much a part of my life and brings me comfort.

They told us that I needed to be admitted for further evaluation.  And so the start of my new journey in life had begun...

After many tests, a brain tumor had shown up on my MRI.  The type of it started as a meningioma with the neurologist, and then the neurosurgeon said, no, it was a cavernoma.  Needless to say, we were lost in the sea of diagnosis.

That night I prayed...I sang my favorite songs while showering, the IV location had needed adjustment which allowed this "open" part of my stay to become "me" again.  All that came to mind was "He's got this"!




No comments:

Post a Comment